April 19, 2010

what do peas do when they overtop their trellis?


It's been a few years since I've done any gardening. (This seems to be a common theme here...I've been sleepwalking through life for a while now. It's a survival thing. More on that later. Maybe.) This year we're having a bit of a pre-Cambrian explosion in our backyard. The chard looks like it's waiting for a sauropod to reach its neck over the fence into our backyard to munch on it.

Much success, but I'm reluctant to chop anything down after watching it work so hard over the winter months. Now I have pillbugs in every bed and grubs in the compost. The cabbage is huge, but it's not really cabbaging. Sigh. OK, I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm justifying it all by saying this year is a learning year. We did eat most of the radishes, but we're leaving a few for seeds.

I built a graceful little bamboo trellis for the peas. The peas are in flower now, and have reached the top of the trellis. The bottoms of the vines seem to be yellowing but the tops look fine. I don't know whether I should worry about that or not. And I'm not sure where they'll go now.

I have high hopes for the beans and lentils. Those I know what to do with. Sort of. I'm scared of the gourds and melons. With all the other plants, when they first appeared it was like, "Oh, look at the little babies, aren't they cute." But the gourds and melons just sort of presented themselves one day looking frightfully robust, with a little "Little Shop of Horrors" look about them...

No comments:

Post a Comment